A Bit of Sense

Here I talk about my expericne with computers, software and computer programming. Let me warn you that some of this stuff will be technical. I'll aim to give you fair notice for technical posts.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Massachusetts, United States

Sunday, January 15, 2006

Ubuntu: Getting Serious

This post is moderately technical

I've been meaning to install Linux (some call it GNU/Linux, but I don't want to get in to politics right now)on one of my computers for a long time. However, when I first started this was a difficult thing to do. One had to know all the ins and outs of the computer in order to tell Linux which device drivers to load and how to load them. I think this was back about 1998 or so.

Almost a year ago now I decided that I was really going to try and switch over this time. I got out a copy of Debian GNU/Linux and installed it on my old machine and I managed to get it running somewhat, but there were a few issues. Debian is one of the distributions of Linux. You can think of a distribution as a flavor or variety of Linux. Here is a list of Linux distributions.

I found a local Linux users group and started attending. The leader of that group introduced me to the Ubuntu Linux distribution and I was hooked.

I installed Ubuntu on my secondary (and very old) computer. It took some effort to get the hardware recognized, but a lot easier then in the "old days". Hardware issues can happen with any Operating System, but since Windows comes pre installed on computers this is rarely an issue for causal users of Windows.

The collection of software offered for Ubuntu is pretty impressive and it is a lot more up to date then what one might find in Debian. Installing new software is a snap. You just need to find the applications you want in a list and then check them off and then press an apply button and Ubuntu will install the software automatically with reasonable default settings. It is a snap! I ripped a number of CDs as well. The ripping software is installed by default and was easy to use. I did however, not have the choice of ripping to MP3 format. This seems a little silly to me since MP3 is the most type of music file. Even if it is a little old.

I've setup this secondary computer of mine to have three different Operating Systems: Windows XP, Debian GNU/Linux, Ubuntu Linux. I've had some trouble getting it to work the way I want it to and I think part of the problem is the age of the hardware. Currently I boot to Boot Magic, then I can select Debian which loads GRUB and from here I can pick Debian or Ubuntu. For some reason the Ubuntu GRUB does not display the start up menu even though the configuration is the same and Ubuntu Grub is a higher version.

I am planning to purchase a laptop for Linux soon. I'll give an update when I do. The Ubuntu home page is http://ubuntu.com/.





Tags:



2 Comments:

Blogger Bar L. said...

This is a very informative post! Thanks for introducing me to ubuntu. I am not sure if I am ready to try it out, but I know where to come for advice if I do!

This looks like the beginning of a really helpful and interesting blog. Keep up the good work!

January 15, 2006 8:44 PM  
Blogger James Gray said...

Thanks, your so nice to me. :)

January 15, 2006 9:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home