A Bit of Sense

Here I talk about my expericne with computers, software and computer programming. Let me warn you that some of this stuff will be technical. I'll aim to give you fair notice for technical posts.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Massachusetts, United States

Monday, January 16, 2006

Technorati Howto - Part I: Claim your Blog

This post is slightly technical

Well Woman asked me how to setup Technorati tags so I went in and figured it out. While I setup my second blog I will explain what I am doing.

A how-to is an informal, often short, description of how to accomplish some specific task. They are generally meant to help non-experts, and may leave out details that are only important to experts, and may be greatly simplified from an overall discussion of the topic. See procedural knowledge for a discussion of what sort of knowledge is imparted, and how far it can be imparted, in how-tos. taken from Wikipedia

"Claim your blog" (This step is optional)

go to http://technorati.com/. If you have firefox middle click this link to open technorati in a new tab. This will make it easy to refer back to the instructions.

Search for the text 'Claim Blog' on this page (control-F on most browsers). Click on this link.

Create a new account entering in the required fields.

(I had a problem that technorati was redirecting me back to the index page when I did this. I found that somehow I had configured firefox to disable cookies to this site. When I re-enabled cookies it worked fine.)

Now you should be looking at a claim your blog page. Enter the URL of your blog into the text box that displays. Mine is http://bitofsense.blogspot.com/. Press the "Begin claim" button. Use the quick claim if it is an option and enter your blogger username and password. Press the button to claim "now".

Enter a Description, I used the same text as my blog. You may need to shrink it down a bit in order to fit their limited length. Select the language you will use as your default language. Select some keywords to use for your blog. Be creative.

You may choose to "Show Technorati Embed on my site" (I did and choose to add the "Technorati Search Box" on my pages by clicking the checkbox next to this item.

There is a bit of java script code here in a text box that you will need to add to your template.

Something like:

<script type="text/javascript" src="http://embed.technorati.com/embed/rfyd5diuig.js"></script>

Details of installing the script:

From firefox press control-T to open a new tab or open a new window in another browser.

Sign in to edit your blog in this new window. (I will give instructions for blogger.com.) Click on your blog. Then template. I copied my template into textpad (you can use notepad or whatever you have or just edit in the browser). Find the HTML div id="sidebar" and insert the script somewhere before the /div. Copy this text back into the template and click 'Save Template Changes.' Click the republish your blog button.

(Optionally you can look for the java script in your page source after reloading to make sure it is there.)

Finally hit "save changes".

Congratulations! If you have followed these steps you have done the first and largest step of the process to setting up technorati for your blog.

When you are ready for part II. Here is the link.


1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good tutorial James. I wish I could say that the experience matches the quality of the HOW-TO. The Claim process (for that matter even the indexing process) too, is simply overwhelmed and broken.

It is a hit-or-miss case. Some people have had success with technorati. Many (including me), have zero success with them. About 3 months ago, my posts stop showing up in technorati.

http://kreaper.blogsome.com/2006/01/15/technorati-troubles/

January 16, 2006 4:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home