A Bit of Sense

Here I talk about my expericne with computers, software and computer programming. Let me warn you that some of this stuff will be technical. I'll aim to give you fair notice for technical posts.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Massachusetts, United States

Monday, January 16, 2006

Technorati Howto - Part II: Tag your posts & ping your blog

This post is slightly technical

(Continued from my post earlier this morning)

Now that you've claimed your blog you will want to start tagging. Here is an example tag:

<a href="http://technorati.com/tag/mytag" rel="tag">mytag</a>

When you add it to your post it will look like this:



When you create a tag replace the word 'mytag' with the name of the tag that you want to use. Replace both of 'mytag' in the text the first one is what counts to technorati and the second is what your reader's will see. You should add code like the above for each tag that you create. [Since originally posting this I've created some lines of python code to automate the embedding of tags in the html markup above.]

You can select one of your existing posts, edit it and add tags to it to see how this works. You can also use the tools to add a technorati search box into your blog - see their website for details. I've got one myself.

Once you've completed your post you will need to ping technorati to let them know that you have made a change to it. Instead of pinging every time you make a change to your blog you could just automate the process. Use this link for automatic pinging: http://www.technorati.com/developers/ping/ Select the publishing tool that you use for your blog and follow the directions. If you do not want to automate or you are unable to then use this link http://www.technorati.com/ping.html

You will want to manually ping yourself the first time since you have already published your post.

Ok, thats it. You are done!

If you haven't yet implmented Part I by claiming your blog you can do that now. Click Here

Tags:


2 Comments:

Blogger Bar L. said...

I did it! Thank you James, for teaching us how to do this! I've been trying on my own and couldn't get it just right!

I am going to tell my blog friends to check you out for all their techie needs!

January 19, 2006 1:11 AM  
Blogger James Gray said...

I've added a few more hints to make my meaning more clear about how to setup the tags. Hopefully this will prevent future confusion. Email me if this is still unclear.

February 09, 2006 11:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home