A Bit of Sense

Here I talk about my expericne with computers, software and computer programming. Let me warn you that some of this stuff will be technical. I'll aim to give you fair notice for technical posts.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Massachusetts, United States

Thursday, January 26, 2006

Software I install to protect my computer online

I am no expert on computer security, but since I've installed these measures my computers have yet to be infected by a worm or virus, and I find I get less spyware and only the tracking tracking cookie type.

Here are the steps in the order I take them when I (re)install windows on a home PC.

* Get a firewall. (I use Zone Alarm personal) This isn't the easiest to use product in the world, but it should be straightforward to anyone with a fair amount of computer experience.

* Get an Anti-Virus product. (I use AVG Free Edition) This program is a real snap to setup.

* Get Service Pack 2 if running Windows XP.

* Get all outstanding windows updates and do this regularly or automatically.

* Get a web browser that isn't Internet Explorer (I use firefox).

* Get software to help defend against Spyware, multiple tools work better then just one. (I use Spybot-SD, Ad-Aware & Spyware Blaster.)

All of this software can be downloaded for free.

Tags: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home