A Bit of Sense

Here I talk about my expericne with computers, software and computer programming. Let me warn you that some of this stuff will be technical. I'll aim to give you fair notice for technical posts.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Massachusetts, United States

Friday, September 10, 2010

Disabling power save button on keyboard in Ubuntu

My home desktop computer has special buttons long the sides for various actions. Ubuntu handles most of these buttons correctly. However, the suspend button shuts down the computer if hit by mistake. I hate that. Here are instructions for fixing this for Ubuntu 10.04. Other versions might require other steps. Other GNU/Linux distros with the same version of gnome will probably work with these steps.

1. Type F2 to get the run prompt.
2. Type "gconf-editor" (without the quotes) and hit enter.
3. go to the config path /apps/gnome-power-manager/buttons
4. change hibernate's value to "interactive"
5. change suspend's value to "interactive"
Should be all set.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home