A Bit of Sense

Here I talk about my expericne with computers, software and computer programming. Let me warn you that some of this stuff will be technical. I'll aim to give you fair notice for technical posts.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Massachusetts, United States

Monday, January 30, 2006

Laptop Struggle


I bought a used laptop two weeks ago. I asked the sales person at the store if I could do compatibility testing for Ubuntu and they said sure. I poped in my bootable live CD restarted the machine and in about 5 minutes I was running Linux and able to test the system for compatibility. It worked great. One thing I noticed later on was that Linux couldn't read the level of the battery. This could be a big problem in the future if I can't get this to work.

At first it seemed to be running fine, and then all of a sudden it stopped working. I was about to take it into the shop when all of a sudden it began to work again. I began to notice a problem that the laptop would charge for a while and then stop. The AC adapter was still plugged into it, but it was not charging. I found that unplugging the adapter and replacing after a few seconds it will begin charging again. I took it into the shop and hopefully they'll be able to figure out the cause. ...Very strange...

While, I was figuring this all out I was able to begin to configure the system the way I wanted it. My initial plan was to resize the existing WinXP/NTFS partition to make room for Ubuntu. I quickly discovered (as I had guessed) that NTFS is not supported by gparted that comes with Ubuntu Linux. My second option was to buy a copy of partition magic online and use this to resize the drive. However, before getting this far I began to get the "Blue Screen of Death" each time I attempted to use the wireless network card. I had already noticed some odd things that made me think that the company that sold me the laptop had not reinstalled Windows for me. In retrospect I think perhaps it was wishful thinking on my part to think they would.

I decided in light of these two problems (difficulty changing the partition size and problems with the installed version of Windows) I would just repartition the entire drive and create partitions for Ubuntu, Windows and additional partitions for other Operating Systems I might choose later on. (I created a FAT32 filesystem for Windows so I could access those files from Linux.) Quite to me surprise installing windows was a pain. Installing the driver for the wireless card caused by computer to freeze and then several of the windows updates would not install and I searched through help docuementation and microsoft forums to no avail. Installing Ubuntu, was a breeze. The only issue was when it asked for a WEP Key there was no space to specify the type of encryption like 64bit/128bit/256 etc. I'll need to figure that out when the system comes back from the shop.

All in all, I am starting to wish I had just bought a new fully (GNU/)Linux compatible Laptop and saved myself some trouble. On the other hand it was kinda fun in a geeky sort of way. ;) If they still haven't gotten it fixed when I call (tomorrow?), I think I'll ask them if they'll return my money.

Tags: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home