A Bit of Sense

Here I talk about my expericne with computers, software and computer programming. Let me warn you that some of this stuff will be technical. I'll aim to give you fair notice for technical posts.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Massachusetts, United States

Friday, February 24, 2006

Getting things working, at last


I've had this laptop computer for I don't remember how long now and I've been meaning to start working on making it my primary computer. However, I haven't had a lot of time to spend on it. I've just finished moving my thunderbird (it is an email program that looks a lot like outlook) profile to Linux. I felt I was being a hard core optimist when I copied by profile directly from my old windows system to my laptop and then used the switch profile option to tell thunderbird to load the imported profile. I figured it was worth a shot. It worked perfectly, except that one folder was misnamed.

This is actually the first blog entry that I've created using the Laptop/Ubuntu. Also the first time I am using the "performancing" plugin for firefox. It is a
blogging tool, I just discovered.

I've got firefox 1.5.1 and thunderbird 1.5 running here and they are working great. I've also got all of my chat contacts imported into gaim. I didn't try to copy
the settings from windows, I just reentered them since I have so few accounts. I've been using bittorrent as well - no problems there either, except that the version the comes w/Ubuntu isn't the latest. (I'll upgrade when I get around to it.) I've also started to get some basic programming tools online as well.

I think the hardest part of getting used to the new computer isn't Linux at all but the crazy keyboard arrangement that they have created in order to get all of the normal keys on such a small keyboard.

Here is what my system looks like at the moment:





2 Comments:

Blogger Bar L. said...

This thing is sweet! I love the keyboard, it looks like it would be easier than most laptops. I am envious :)

February 24, 2006 10:29 PM  
Blogger Bar L. said...

I miss you

March 31, 2006 12:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home